- Why do think that we can do something unusual? It is always easier when we have evidence of something possible.
- Work/life balance: ** Obsession is sometimes useful. ** We have more then 100 hours after sleep per week. ** If we dedicate 60 hours to work, we will still have 40 hours for family. ** Sundays are always for family.
The Early Days of id Software The GDC-2016 talk.
- Great tools help build great games. Spend as much time on your tools as needed.
- Do not postpone bugfixes.
- You can optimize some single step of your pipeline to theoretically possible limit. But by understanding your pipeline as a whole - you can completely eliminate that step, driving it’s cost to zero.
- Communicating with other teams (and companies) is important - they might be able to make critical change for you very cheaply. Working with systems as a given black box can hide potential optimizations.
Overwatch Gameplay Architecture and Netcode GDC-2017 talk about Overwatch architecture and networking.
- ECS - Entity Component Systems. Game world is a bunch of Components - plain data structure hierarchies without behavior. Every tick, Systems walk through Components and modify them. This helps with decoupling.
- Prediction in networking. How rollbacks and quanization helps.