John Carmack speaks at SMU Dedman School of Law's Tsai Center Innovation Lecture 3/21/2018
- Why do think that we can do something unusual? It is always easier when we have evidence of something possible.
- Work/life balance:
- Obsession is sometimes useful.
- We have more then 100 hours after sleep per week.
- If we dedicate 60 hours to work, we will still have 40 hours for family.
- Sundays are always for family.
The Early Days of id Software The GDC-2016 talk.
- Great tools help build great games. Spend as much time on your tools as needed.
- Do not postpone bugfixes.
John Carmack Tech Talk with UMKC-SCE
- You can optimize some single step of your pipeline to theoretically possible limit. But by understanding your pipeline as a whole - you can completely eliminate that step, driving it's cost to zero.
- Communicating with other teams (and companies) is important - they might be able to make critical change for you very cheaply. Working with systems as a given black box can hide potential optimizations.
Using Types Effectively - talk about how to design types to make it impossible to represent wrong state.
Under the Hood of Blizzard's Internal Build System - how to optimize build routines
Overwatch Gameplay Architecture and Netcode GDC-2017 talk about Overwatch architecture and networking.
- ECS - Entity Component Systems. Game world is a bunch of Components - plain data structure hierarchies without behavior. Every tick, Systems walk through Components and modify them. This helps with decoupling.
- Prediction in networking. How rollbacks and quanization helps.
Networking Scripted Weapons and Abilities in Overwatch
Replay Technology in Overwatch: Kill Cam, Gameplay, and Highlights